I woke up one morning and decided that this was the day that I would sow some Basil seed. I use loads of basil and other herbs when cooking and my current plants were getting old and tired. I went to my local garden centre and selected a few varieties and then realised that I was going to have way to many seeds and the seeds were not cheap.
Too many seeds
I went home, sowed a selection of the seeds and thought. Thought a bit more. Continued to think. Then came up with an idea, why not sell packets of seeds with fewer seeds of each type but a mixture of several types. Then I realised that people might not want to just have a jumble of different varieties in one pot.
Back to the drawing board. Finally I came up with the solution, create a small booklet and incorporate the seeds within the pages of the book. Again I could see issues but at this point everything was beginning to take shape.
Then one night I had the eureka moment. If I could present the seeds encapsulated in a degradable paper then everything fell into place. I experimented over the following weeks with different techniques and finally found the solution.
I decided that the format of the book should remain the same despite the different collections that could be offered. The book should contain details of 6 plants, it should include details regarding characteristics, uses, history as well as a recipe that highlighted the flavours of the herb or fruit. The book should also contain a pull out piece of seed paper for each of the six plants.
With this idea in front of me I was ready to start production. The next stage was to assess what plants to use and to develop a range of titles for the different collections that I wanted to produce.